Logistics – Procurement Officer, Khartoum -Norwegian Refugee Council
Job Logistics – Procurement Officer, Khartoum -Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across more than 30 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP is a global provider of expertise that contributes to solving challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the resilience, and protect the lives, rights and livelihoods of vulnerable people and communities
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has an interesting and rewarding opportunity to be part of our newest country of operation – Sudan.
The NRC has recently re-registered to operate in Sudan, and is currently in country start-up phase, conducting assessments and designing the first steps of the programme. Focus will be given to people displaced by conflict, refugees, and vulnerable migrants, and potential geographical areas of work will be Khartoum state, South Kordofan and Blue Nile on a first phase, with the idea to expand to other States.
As a priority, NRC is therefore hiring a Logistics/ Procurement Officer to be part of establishing NRC’s programme in Sudan.
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Logistics Coordinator, the Procurement Officer will support programme staff to plan and manage the accountable, efficient and timely procurement of goods and services for the NRC Sudan programme in compliance with NRC’s internal policies and donor regulations:
- Source appropriate suppliers in the local and/or international market for the procurement of goods and/or services based on specifications provided by the core competencies and other support departments;
- Support the Logistics Coordinator in developing and managing open tenders and the subsequent development and management of contracts and Framework Agreements;
- Liaise with field logistics and programme staff to ensure timely delivery of procured goods and services;
- Establish and maintain good professional working relationships with suppliers, service providers and contractors whilst strictly adhering to NRC’s anti-corruption guidelines and NRC’s code of conduct;
- Ensure paper and electronic records are maintained in a systematic manner in line with NRC’s standard procurement procedures, providing a clear auditable trail;
- Conduct regular market surveys and support with supplier pre-qualification for commonly purchased goods and services, maintaining an up to date supplier database with key supplier information
- Advise and support NRC Sudan staff in all procurement processes, in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator (which includes providing training to key programme staff in procurement policy and procedures)
- Any other duties as assigned by Line Manager
A minimum of 3 years procurement or logistics experience in a complex work environment
Proven experience in undertaking high value, local and international procurement
Contract management experience
Solid understanding of supply management
Knowledge of NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector
Ability to handle information of a sensitive/confidential nature
A high degree of competence in planning; management of resources; monitoring; supervision and control; reporting; communication; management of self; management of others
High level of English, both written and spoken and fluency in Arabic
Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
Qualification requirement: Degree or equivalent
Years of Experience: 3 and above
Familiarity with the local Sudanese market
Ability to independently analyze data
Strong negotiation skills
Ability to deliver under pressure
Good communication and interpersonal skills
Strong organizational and team working skills
Highly approachable, trustworthy
Managing resources to optimize results
Planning and delivering results
Working with people
Communicating with impact and respect
Analysing Managing performance and development
We can offer
Duty Station: Khartoum, Sudan
Travel: At least 20% travel
Contract Period: 12 months, with possible extension
Salary/Benefits: NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and employees to check they have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Females are highly encouraged to apply