- Location : Abyei, Sudan
- Ending : 31 Aug 2020, Monday
- Posted : 17 Aug 2020, Monday
FAO works closely with the Government of South Sudan to improve food and nutrition security and eradicate hunger in the country. FAO provides support in three priority areas: sustainable increase in production and productivity, agriculture-based economic growth, and increased resilience of livelihoods to threats and crisis.
The FAO Representation in South Sudan is organizes in five main pillars: Emergency and Resilience Team, Natural Resources and Sustainable Production Team, Economic and Social Development Team, Partnership and Outreach Team and Corporate and Operational Support Team. The current portfolio of projects in South Sudan includes activities related to agriculture (crop), livestock, Fisheries, Natural Resource management, food information systems is implemented with humanitarian, transitional and development funding.
The Natural Resource Management Extension Associate will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative for South Sudan, the direct supervision of the Head of Field Office/Area Coordinator Abyei Cluster, further supported by the Deputy Head of Field Office/Area Coordinator Abyei Cluster. In his/her capacity, the Natural Resource Management (NRM) Extension Associate will liaise with all concerned colleagues at the Field Office level, also including Programmes, Operations, and Administrative Units, and other relevant Technical Units, at the FAO Country Office in Juba.
The incumbent will contribute to the country’s programme and portfolio as foreseen in the project he/she will coordinate and be assigned.
Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Office/Area Coordinator and performs the following duties:
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks and duties:
- The NRM Extension Associate is responsible for all NRM/Agro business activities in the Abyei Cluster.
- Assist with the development of context-specific approaches, tools and activities and their integration into field projects for addressing NRM, energy access and climate change adaption, as well as associated natural resource-related conflicts, including conflict management and resolution aspects.
- Assist with the analysis of constraints, and enabling factors which hinder/enhance sustainable NRM within the Abyei Area, and Northern Bahr elGhazal and Warrap.
- Responsible for leading NRM related aspects in the Abyei Administrative Area and in Twic State, as direct implementation in coordination with the local government authorities.
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership in the area of NRM, environment and climate change to support programming, policy development and regulatory frameworks, including agriculture, fisheries, livestock and conflict mitigations considering the national, regional and local perspectives.
- Support the review and formulation of policy and regulatory frameworks on NRM/forestry in South Sudan, including cross-border actions.
- Liaise with the State Ministries of Agriculture, Animal Resources and Fisheries and other relevant concerned authorities on NRM and production related aspects.
- Enhance the peace building initiatives while engaging in supporting the local communities.
- Provide policy advice on NRM issues in South Sudan, including land access and water management , and use of NR and forestry;
- Develop training material, and design training courses, curriculum and related training material for national Technician (NGOs, government producer organization), and beneficiaries;
- Support in conducting community and partner capacity and training needs assessment for the development of training materials for improved community management of NR.
- Lead and participate in technical meetings on the harmonization of community Natural Resource Management Committees (NRMCs) approaches to control and protect NR.
- Lead and participate in the development of frameworks and protocols on the control NRM, and other NR related issues between South Sudan and neighbouring countries.
- Provide regular monitoring reports and updates on the NR conflict in South Sudan, including the cross-border areas with the neighbouring countries.
- Lead and participating in the NRM development action and analysis/assessments.
- Lead the development of technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks.
- Support the NRM project formulation by liaising with donors, government officials and partner organisations, including the concerned FAO technical units.
- Assess, revising and recommending further tools to support the NRMCs and peace building in the NRM programmes in South Sudan.
- Coordinate and following up with public and private partners, including local authorities on peace actor’s issues.
- Ensure the quality and standards of the training provided under FAO programs are met.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Environment Management, Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Rural Development or any other related social science field.
- Minimum 5 years of field experience in implementation of NRM related programming, including peace building activities with farming or agro-pastoral communities.
- At least, two years of professional experience in coordinating technical assistance and programming interventions in South Sudan.
- Working knowledge of English (Level C), including written and spoken, and Arabic written and spoken and other local languages a strong asset
- National of South Sudan or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results focus
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Good knowledge of the UN system, procedures and operational activities would be an advantage.
- Ability to organize and implement directly project activities, work in hardship context and guide implementing partners and beneficiaries organizations.
- Ability to operate effectively in a team, contributing positively to a team operations and working relationships.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
- Willingness to learn and apply new methodologies and approaches.
- Experience with emergencies and development initiatives, including resilience building within a peacebuilding dialogue.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of NRM-related activities, in collaboration with the public and private sector.
- Experience in providing technical assistance to development strategies, policy, and local/national governments.
- Experience in project formulation, operation, implementation, budget execution, and monitoring.
- Experience in community-based development and participatory approaches, and, in particular, with grassroots associations and NRMCs groups and Joint Border Peace committees.
- Good interpersonal, communications and facilitation skills.
- Sound knowledge and experience in analyzing natural Resources elements.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point) etc.
- Ability to operate effectively in a team, contributing positively to team operations and working relationships.
- Ready to work in difficult contexts and spend time in the field, with ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines
- Understand and adhere to FAO goals and principle and the FAO South Sudan strategy and objectives.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]